Rafael Benitez

Steve Bruce facing battle to win over Newcastle United fans

Steve Bruce has walked into the eye of a storm after accepting Mike Ashley‘s offer to become Newcastle’s new head coach. The 58-year-old boyhood Magpies fan was confirmed as Rafael Benitez‘s replacement on Wednesday, just hours before the team he has inherited from the Spaniard were due to kick off in their opening Premier League Asia Trophy fixture against Wolves in Nanjing, China. Bruce, who will be assisted by trusted allies Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence in his new role, arrived knowing he faces a major challenge to win over fans still furious at Benitez’s departure and once again threatening boycotts as they step up their campaign against Ashley. He said: “I’m delighted and incredibly proud to be appointed as head coach of Newcastle United. This i...

Steve Bruce: Five key issues for the new Newcastle boss to solve

Steve Bruce walked into a maelstrom on and off the pitch when he accepted Newcastle’s overtures to become their new head coach. Rafael Benitez‘s replacement faces a battle for hearts and minds as well as the task of rebuilding a squad which has been severely depleted since finishing 13th in last season’s Premier League. Here, PA stakes a look at the challenges he faces as he walks through the door at St James’ Park. Pulling the dressing room together Rafael Benitez had the support of his players (Owen Humphreys/PA) Almost to a man, the players in the Magpies squad were desperate for Benitez to stay, having seen him improve them as individuals and as a team over his three years or so at the helm. Many spoke publicly about the importance of retaining the Spaniard̵...

Jonjo Shelvey wants to remain at Newcastle United this summer

Jonjo Shelvey confirms he does not want to leave Newcastle United this summer despite the departure of manager Rafael Benitez in May. Jonjo Shelvey has made it clear that he does not want to leave Newcastle United this summer despite the departure of Rafael Benitez. The former Liverpool midfielder captained The Magpies under Benitez, who left St James’ Park last month after failing to agree on a new contract with the club. Newcastle have already lost Ayoze Perez and Joselu in this window, and could be about to lose midfielder Sean Longstaff, who is linked with Manchester United. Speaking to the Daily Star on Tuesday, Shelvey said: “I won’t be leaving this football club. “I don’t know who wants me to leave or doesn’t want me to leave, but as far as I̵...

Steve Bruce confirmed as Newcastle manager

Newcastle have appointed Steve Bruce as Rafael Benitez‘s replacement as their search for a new manager finally came to a close. The Magpies have confirmed the 58-year-old Geordie has left his job at Sheffield Wednesday to become the 10th permanent boss of controversial owner Mike Ashley‘s 12-year-plus reign on a three-year deal. Newcastle United can now announce that Steve Bruce has been appointed as the club’s new head coach. More here: https://t.co/BTjZACgqtb #NUFC pic.twitter.com/IvhafgljYf — Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) July 17, 2019 A club statement said: “Newcastle can now announce that Steve Bruce has been appointed as the club’s new head coach. “The 58-year-old, who was born in Corbridge, Northumberland and raised in Wallsend, returns to Tyneside ...

Salomon Rondon to join Rafael Benitez at Dalian Yifang?

Dalian Yifang agree a deal with West Bromwich Albion for Salomon Rondon, according to a report. Dalian Yifang have reportedly agreed a deal with West Bromwich Albion for Salomon Rondon. Rondon scored 12 times in 33 appearances during a loan spell at Newcastle United last season. The Magpies were said to be keen to sign the striker on a permanent deal this summer, but Rafael Benitez‘s departure as head coach has thrown the move into doubt. According to Sky Sports News, Dalian Yifang are now the favourites to swoop for the 29-year-old, who is keen to link up with Benitez once again following the head coach’s switch to China. Rondon, who represented Venezuela at this summer’s Copa America, has a release clause of £16.5m inserted into his current deal at the Hawthorns. Belgiu...

Newcastle-bound Steve Bruce ‘to be lowest-paid manager in Premier League’

Newcastle-bound Steve Bruce will reportedly be the lowest-paid manager in the Premier League if he takes over at St James’ Park, earning six times less than Rafa Benitez. Steve Bruce will reportedly become the lowest-paid manager in the Premier League if he is appointed as Newcastle United boss. The Magpies are in talks with the Sheffield Wednesday manager over becoming Rafael Benitez‘s successor after the Spaniard left at the end of his contract last month. Bruce is understood to have agreed terms with Mike Ashley to take over, but the Sheffield Star reports that he would earn a basic salary of £1m at St James’ Park – the lowest figure in the top flight and six times less than Benitez was paid. However, the former Sunderland boss is happy to accept those terms in o...

Aston Villa ‘leading race for Newcastle United goalkeeper Martin Dubravka’

Newly-promoted Aston Villa are reportedly leading the race to sign Newcastle United goalkeeper Martin Dubravka, who has also been linked with Manchester United and Spurs. Aston Villa have reportedly emerged as favourites to sign Newcastle United goalkeeper Martin Dubravka this summer. The 30-year-old is understood to be considering his future at St James’ Park following the exit of Rafael Benitez, who left the club when his contract expired at the end of June. Villa are in the market for a new goalkeeper to provide competition for Jed Steer, who established himself as Dean Smith‘s first choice during the second half of last season and went on to play an integral role in their promotion to the Premier League. The newly-promoted Villans have previously been linked with Jack Butla...

Steve Bruce confirms Newcastle United talks

Sheffield Wednesday boss Steve Bruce has confirmed he has held talks with Newcastle about succeeding Rafael Benitez as manager of his hometown club. Bruce, 58, was quickly installed as the bookmakers favourite to replace Benitez, who departed St James’ Park when his contract expired on June 30. An angry Wednesday fan confronted Bruce on the touchline during his side’s 3-1 friendly win against Lincoln at Sincil Bank on Saturday. A good performance from Wednesday as we begin our bout of pre-season friendlies with a win #swfc — Sheffield Wednesday (@swfc) July 13, 2019 After the match Bruce told the Sheffield Star: “Speculation is speculation. It’s in the hands of the club. “For me, at this particular moment, there is nothing really to talk about until the two cl...

Newcastle United closing in on Steve Bruce appointment

Newcastle are hoping to appointing Sheffield Wednesday boss Steve Bruce as their new manager with the start of the new Premier League season just a month away. PA understands the two clubs spent Thursday attempting to reach an agreement over compensation with Bruce having indicated he wanted to talk to the club he supported as a boy. The Magpies are keen to strike a deal for the 58-year-old as soon as possible, with the summer transfer window running down fast and the squad due to depart for the Premier League Asia Trophy in China on Saturday. Sheffield United, Huddersfield, Wigan, Crystal Palace, Birmingham, Wigan, Sunderland, Hull, Aston Villa, Sheffield Wednesday. Academy coaches Ben Dawson and Neil Redfearn have taken charge of the first few days of pre-season training and are on stand...

Newcastle United takeover stalls after Rafael Benitez exit?

A report claims that the Bin Zayed Group’s proposed takeover of Newcastle United is not close to completion, with Rafael Benitez’s departure complicating matters. The proposed takeover of Newcastle United has reportedly stalled following Rafael Benitez‘s departure as manager. Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is rumoured to have been in advanced talks with the Bin Zayed Group last month over a possible £350m sale. Things have since gone quiet on that front, however, and Newcastle Chronicle claims that a deal is not close to being completed. Benitez’s exit at the end of last month following the expiration of his contract is said to have further complicated matters. The Dubai-based group, led by Sheikh Khaled Bin Zayed, are believed to have already passed the Premier League...

Newcastle United to make formal approach for Steve Bruce?

Newcastle are ready to make an approach to Sheffield Wednesday as they attempt to appoint Steve Bruce as Rafael Benitez‘s replacement. PA understands the 58-year-old Owls boss is the man at the top of the Magpies’ shortlist and that formal contact is imminent, with the club due to embark on their Premier League Asia Trophy trip to China on Saturday. It is understood they would have to pay compensation of around £1million to release the Corbridge-born former Manchester United defender from his current contract. Steve Bruce became favourite for the Newcastle job (Joe Giddens/PA) Some bookmakers suspended betting on Bruce’s appointment on Tuesday after a flurry of bets saw him installed as odds-on favourite to fill the vacancy at St James’ Park. Should Newcastle push h...

Newcastle considering Steve Bruce as Rafael Benitez replacement?

Newcastle are considering Steve Bruce as a possible replacement for Rafael Benitez as they prepare to head off to China for the Premier League Asia Trophy. PA understands the 58-year-old Sheffield Wednesday boss is one of a series of potential candidates to have been identified as managing director Lee Charnley looks to fill the gap left by the Spaniard. The club has been without a manager since Benitez’s contract expired on June 30 and a series of big names, including Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger, Patrick Vieira and Steven Gerrard, have distanced themselves from the vacancy. Week 2⃣ of pre-season ✔️ #NUFC pic.twitter.com/9ZgWtE33ak — Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) July 9, 2019 With the squad due to fly out to the Far East on Saturday to take part in the tournament – with Premier League...

Skip to toolbar